Thursday, February 7, 2013

Suncor, BlackBerry and Visa (yesterday)

Suncor down -5%, while XEG, an ETF for energy, is down only around -1%. I keep saying that I will get out of individual stocks but I can't bring myself doing it.

Cause: "Suncor's view is that the economic outlook for the Voyageur upgrader project is challenged. Suncor and its partner continue to work diligently towards determining an outcome for the project. The partners have been considering options for the project, including the implications of cancellation or indefinite deferral. No formal decisions regarding the project have been made and the partners continue to work toward a decision by the end of the first quarter of 2013.
...
Given the challenging economic outlook for the Voyageur upgrader project, at the end of the fourth quarter of 2012, the company performed an impairment test. Based on an assessment of expected future net cash flows, the company recorded an after-tax impairment charge of $1.487 billion,"   


"BlackBerry’s Z10 smartphone has attracted record orders at Canadian wireless carrier BCE Inc. (BCE), and analysts say sales are off to a strong start in the U.K., sparking a 23 percent stock rally over the past two days.
BCE, Canada’s No. 2 carrier, said early orders for the Z10 have topped any previous BlackBerry model, while one Rogers Communications Inc. (RCI/B) outlet in Toronto had sold out of the Z10 by 11 a.m. today on the first day of sales."

BlackBerry Z10 Gets Record Orders in Canada

Amen!
Still at 80% loss, but let's wait for the reviews that will come in. This phone will be make it or break it!
Will BlackBerry (former RIM) go the way of Nortel or the way of Apple some 7 years ago? 


Visa is one of my very few success stories V is from Victory and from Visa
I had 15 shares and after the stock doubled I sold 5 and not half as per my 'strategy' to sell half of any stock that doubles so I would not care what happens with the other half.
I did not sell half because I had trouble figuring how much half is. Is it 8 or 7 shares?
Lesson learnt: buy only an even number of shares not that I will have this problem many times.

But yesterday I decided to sell 3 shares for $161.77 (max. stock price for the last 52 weeks - 162.77). However, after a while I changed the sell price to 160.77, then as the stock was hovering around 160 I changed it again to 160.33 with the plan to just sell it at the market price towards the end of the day. A few cents there would not make too much a difference, I figured. But I forgot and when I checked the closing price it was 160.82 so my order at 160.77 would have filled!
As a matter of fact instead of 160.33 the order closed at 160.36 so quickly it spiked. Why? Visa announced stellar results, but some knew it just before the end of the day, otherwise the sudden spike cannot be explained. So the game is fixed!



No comments:

Post a Comment