Thursday, December 6, 2012

From BRIC to BRICIT to BRICITMENP

Long time ago I came across the term BRICIT (the BRIC countries, everyone knows of, + Indonesia and Turkey) so I decided to coin the term BRICITMENP ( + Mexico, Egypt, Nigeria, Pakistan).

Chances are I am the first person in the world to have come up with this term so I stake my claim for glory. Let the world acknowledge it.

But I will have to become a chief economist or someone important somewhere so that Wikipedia has an entry for BRICITMENP where they will mention my name as they do now for BRIC.

The acronym was coined by Jim O'Neill in a 2001 paper entitled "Building Better Global Economic BRICs".The acronym has come into widespread use as a symbol of the shift in global economic power away from the developed G7 economies towards the developing world.

Jim O'Neill is presently the Chairman of Goldman Sachs Asset Management. He was previously head of global economic research and commodities and strategy research at Goldman Sachs.He is best known for his prominent economic thesis regarding the economically related nations referred to as BRICs (Brazil, Russia, India and China). He coined the phrase in a 2001 paper entitled "The World Needs Better Economic BRICs."

No comments:

Post a Comment